‘EVE BLOCK’ – THE EAST VILLAGE CENTREPIECE
Master Plan Block K, also know as ‘EVE Block’, is the last full block of developable land in Calgary’s redeveloped and revitalized East Village neighbourhood
Between 7th and 8th Avenues and 4th and 5th Streets SE, just east of the New Central Library and National Music Centre
EAST VILLAGE’S PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE
The 2009 East Village Master Plan, crafted with the help of one of the world’s top architectural practices (Broadway Malyan) and inspired by some of the world’s most livable places, set our direction for redeveloping East Village into a vibrant, mixed- use, creative urban village. And right at its heart is the EVE Block – Block K – the embodiment of the East Village Experience.
Block K is the centrepiece of The Crossing – one of East Village’s four ‘character areas’ notable for its mix of leisure, educational and cultural uses.
West of EVE Block, The Crossing is home to Calgary’s New Central Library, the National Music Centre at the King Eddy, and two fully restored heritage buildings on 8th Avenue– the St. Louis Hotel and the Hillier Block. To the northeast, on Block Q, is Verve – a 288-unit apartment tower being developed by FRAM + Slokker.
Block K itself straddles The Riff – a vital feature of The Crossing and the neighbourhood.
An integral aspect of the plan for Block K, The Riff is a pedestrian thoroughfare that cuts a diagonal corridor through Calgary’s more traditional square grid.
Beginning in the plaza just southwest of EVE Block, The Riff continues northeast to the edge of the RiverWalk near Fort Calgary and the base of the pedestrian bridge to the rejuvenated St. Patrick’s Island.
Envisioned as a high-quality public realm, The Riff lends itself to a mews style pedestrian mall with commercial frontages – niche retail, cafes, bars and restaurants – energized by plenty of public art and street life.
THE EVE BLOCK VISION
The East Village Master Plan envisions EVE Block as a mixed-use block with highly visible retail and leisure uses animating the ground level. Its central passageway – The Riff – connects the cultural cluster across 4th Street SE with 5th Street Square. A spur to this passageway connects to C-Square to the North.
In 2015, CMLC investigated potential other uses and massing for this site to reflect our retail strategy and the ambitions of our commercial and residential programs. For our EVE Block development partner, the following massing and land use mix is presented as a starting point:
USE CONSIDERATIONS & POLICIES
Block K is located in the Centre City East Village Integrated Residential District (CC-EIR), whose purpose is to provide for mixed-use development that integrates residential with a broad range of commercial, cultural and entertainment uses.
East Village’s 2017 Area Redevelopment Plan includes the following policies for Block K:
- Identified as a ‘Neighbourhood Centre’ where a high concentration of commercial and active uses at grade will be realized
- Street-level uses – restaurants, cafés, retail and personal services, for example – should contribute to a vibrant pedestrian experience during the day and evening
- Includes provisions for a large licenced restaurant or night club facing 4th Street SE or, subject to certain requirements, opening onto The Riff
- Building frontages along 4th Street SE should be continuous ground floor space comprising active uses (e.g., restaurants, retail, service and amenities)
- Residential and office uses should be located above the first floor
- For continuity, 24-hour public access agreements must be maintained along the Riff
- Buildings with ground-level frontages onto The Riff should be designed to create an attractive, inviting pedestrian interface
For More Information Please Contact:
120,339 sq ft