Explore CMLC's history, guiding principles and values here.
Background & General Scope of Position
Reporting to the Vice President, Building & Infrastructure, the Design Director will provide a voice at the table, elevating the conversation with innovative design expertise and in-depth knowledge of design relating to CMLC’s work. This role has the ability to help impact our city and influence the design direction of all CMLC projects.
The Design Director will oversee and support a diverse range of projects of various scales from ideation to completion. This role will work with CMLC project teams as well as third party consultants to ensure elevated, quality design outcomes. The Design Director requires an understanding of the design process from programming through to detailed design and an ability to advocate and challenge current best practices in design and construction. The successful candidate has a background that has demonstrated success leading design teams through early planning and exploration through to approvals and permitting.
The successful candidate will have strong interpersonal skills and can develop strong relationships with CMLC’s partners. They are comfortable representing the best interests of our projects as an owner’s representative while managing the expectations of both internal and external stakeholders. The successful candidate is highly adaptive and listens to understand and lead.
The Design Director has a passion for design, teamwork, and mentorship. This role aligns with the value CMLC’s places in a work environment that fosters a culture of collaboration, excellence, and continuous learning & growth.
- Design Oversight
- Stakeholder Management
- Risk and Issue Management
- Manage for Results
- Leadership: proactive, conceptual and strategic planner, timely, facilitates conflict resolution where required.
- Relationship builder: team, suppliers, developers, consultants
- Results focused, internal and external awareness, collected
- Critical listening skills
- Highly driven and motivated
- Team player, enhancing and encouraging a collaborative environment
- Innovative mindset
Key Functional Skills
- Technical Skills
- Problem Solver
- Integrity & Ethics
- Familiarity with precedent-setting, urban design renewal projects and passion for pushing beyond current best practice design solutions
Key Functional Themes/Areas of Responsibility
- Influence design outcomes for transformational city building projects and initiatives.
- Innovate and participate in collaborative problem solving.
- Inform design processes with internal and external industry partners to develop world class urban design solutions.
- Provide guidance on policies and procedures relating to architectural structures and systems and construction/safety codes.
- Foster ongoing connection between the design community and project partners.
- Share expertise and passion in a client setting, effectively advocate for quality design solutions.
- Stay informed about industry trends, building technologies, and sustainable design practices.
- Strong teamwork skills with a collaborative and cooperative mindset.
- Ability to gain a group consensus to elevate all projects within a complex stakeholder structure.
Essential Relevant Experience
- 5+ years of experience working in architecture, landscape architecture, land development, urban design and/or project management.
- Demonstrable experience leading the design process, an ability to recognize quality design, an understanding of its value and a track record of defending it.
- Exceptional written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- A strong fit with the CMLC team is essential; must like friendly competition and laughing.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or landscape architecture. Master’s degree preferred.
- A combination of office and project site presence is required.
- CMLC offers a flexible hybrid work environment between office and working from home.
Applicants are to submit a resume and portfolio to email@example.com.. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only candidates being granted an interview will be contacted.
Please direct all inquiries and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.