Major intersection at 4 St S.E. temporarily closes to enable Green Line LRT utilities work through 2023
Road closures and detours in place to enable continued development of
Calgary’s Culture + Entertainment District.
After pausing road works for Stampede 2023, construction on more than $600M in major city-building projects is ramping back up in The Culture + Entertainment District.
Calgarians can expect a variety of road closures and detours through the remainder of 2023 as Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) and its partners at the Calgary Stampede, Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation, The City of Calgary and the Green Line LRT, work together to deliver our city’s bold vision for Calgary’s Culture + Entertainment District.
“The C+E is unique among comparable districts in that major development is occurring around event facilities operating at full capacity, including the BMO Centre and the Scotiabank Saddledome,” said Kate Thompson, President and CEO of CMLC. “With more than 750 crew at work on construction projects every day and thousands arriving for events weekly, The C+E is at once a neighbourhood in development and a vibrant entertainment destination. We appreciate our partners’ collaboration and Calgarians’ patience while we complete this important city-building work, and we can’t wait to experience The C+E together when construction is complete.”
Beginning Saturday, August 12, the intersection of 11 Ave and 4 St S.E. will close to enable the Green Line LRT’s Beltline and Downtown Utilities Relocation Project, effectively closing the 4 St S.E. Underpass to vehicles until late 2023. Pedestrian and cycling access will be maintained.
“In advance of construction of the Green Line LRT tunnel, we continue to relocate and upgrade deep and shallow utilities, which require significant road closures and detours throughout The Culture + Entertainment District,” said Juliet Pitts, Senior Manager, Community & Business Relations, Green Line. “Working closely with our partners at The City of Calgary’s Mobility team, we are committed to ensuring that Calgarians can continue to access the area and appreciate everyone’s understanding and patience as we clear the way for Green Line.”
For best access to events and activities in The C+E, Calgarians are encouraged to:
- Leave extra time to get to events
- Access the area by transit – it’s a short trip to all venues on Stampede Park from both Victoria Park/Stampede LRT Station and Erlton/Stampede LRT station
- Enter Stampede Park at 25 Ave S.E. where construction is less impactful
- Park at Platform Innovation Centre and Parkade on 9 Ave S.E.
- Avoid the closure at the 4 St S.E. Underpass – take the 4 Ave flyover through downtown to 1 St S.E./Macleod Trail S instead of 9 Ave S.E.
- Park at the 11 Ave S.E. Lot for major events – access the lot via 12 Ave then 5 St S.E.
- Visit The C+E Access Map for real-time construction and access updates