Construction in Calgary’s Culture + Entertainment District ramps up
New interactive map will help Calgarians navigate the District through construction
If you’ve visited Stampede Park lately, you will likely have noticed the impressive new steel structure of the BMO Centre expansion taking shape (at nearly the same height as the Saddledome), or that a new street-level crossing at 17th Ave S.E. is already providing safer, more direct access across the LRT tracks for pedestrians and cyclists.
On schedule for completion in 2024, both the BMO Centre expansion and 17 Ave S.E. Extension and Victoria Park LRT Station Rebuild projects are critical city-building initiatives that will anchor Calgary’s new Culture + Entertainment District. Three more key projects will kick off this spring – Green Line LRT’s Beltline Downtown Utilities Relocation Program, SAM Centre and Stampede Trail – marking significant progress towards realizing the bold vision for the area set out in the Rivers District Master Plan.
With this important construction underway throughout The District, CMLC and its project partners have developed a new interactive map to help Calgarians navigate the impacts of construction as they travel to and through the area. The map, which can be found at cedistrict.com/access-map lets users click through to learn more about each of the key projects and is regularly updated to reflect construction activities and associated impacts.
“We know that construction of this nature can be disruptive, and we appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding while we work to realize our shared vision for a vibrant, authentic, and connected Culture + Entertainment District,” said Kate Thompson, President and CEO of CMLC. “Our hope is that the C+E Access Map will serve as the primary source of information on District construction and will help Calgarians navigate the District while it’s in development.”
With events and in-person gatherings beginning to return this spring, it is important to ensure that the thousands of visitors who frequent the area and the residents living within the District are kept up to speed on project progress and access impacts.
Stay tuned to The C+E District website at cedistrict.com and social channels @cedistrictyyc for project updates and construction impacts, and be sure to sign up for the C+E newsletter to stay in the know.
C+E District Project Updates
- The BMO Centre’s $500-million expansion is a key component of the Culture + Entertainment District that is visibly taking shape. Construction on the building envelope, including the steel structure, is well underway, and the project remains on track for completion in 2024.
- The 17th Ave SE extension and Victoria Park/Stampede Station rebuild is making great progress. Last year, crews added a new street-level pedestrian crossing into Stampede Park and an at-grade access to the LRT station—features that improve safety and accessibility in the area. CMLC will continue to work collaboratively with the City to complete the new station by 2023.
- The SAM Centre, located on Youth Campus at Stampede Park, will bring to life Calgary’s and southern Alberta’s story through immersive and engaging experiences. With interactive exhibits and energizing experiences that are anchored in the artifacts, people and stories of the Calgary Stampede, SAM Centre will excite the community and promote an enduring sense of belonging. Construction enabling works began in fall 2021 and ground on the new building will be broken this spring, with doors opening in 2023.
- The City of Calgary’s Green Line LRT team will break ground on the Beltline and Downtown Utility Relocation project this month. These advanced works will enable construction of the Green Line tunnel and stations. Calgarians will see this utility relocation work taking place along 12 Ave S.E. and 11 Ave S.E. through 2023.
- CMLC is transforming a four-block section of Stampede Trail (Olympic Way) between 12 Ave and 17 Ave S.E. into a vibrant, multi-modal retail and commercial corridor. Watch for more information about this exciting project later this year.