Traffic and pedestrian detours on 11 Ave and 4 St S.E. in place in Culture + Entertainment District beginning March 15.
Traffic and pedestrian detours will be installed this week to facilitate construction on more than $600M in major city-building projects in Calgary’s emerging Culture + Entertainment District, as well as The City of Calgary’s Green Line LRT project.
As steward of the Rivers District Master Plan, Calgary Municipal Land Corporation (CMLC) is working with the Calgary Stampede, Calgary Sport and Entertainment Corporation, The City of Calgary and the Green Line LRT team to make it as easy as possible for Calgarians to navigate the construction on their way to the many events and attractions at the BMO Centre, the Scotiabank Saddledome, GMC Stadium and others.
Utilities work on The City of Calgary’s Green Line LRT project will move into the intersection of 11 Ave and 4 St S.E. on Wednesday, March 15. With construction already underway on the BMO Centre expansion, the 17 Ave S.E. Extension and Station Rebuild project, the Calgary Stampede’s SAM Centre, and more projects to begin this spring, visitors to the area can expect detours and delays through 2023.
“We’re thrilled that so many major city-building projects are underway in Calgary’s emerging Culture + Entertainment District (The C+E), but we know that construction of this nature can be disruptive and that navigating the resulting traffic and pedestrian detours is inconvenient,” says CMLC President and CEO Kate Thompson. “We are confident that The C+E will be an exceptional destination for Calgarians and tourists alike when complete, so we appreciate Calgarians’ patience while we bring the vision to life.”
Here’s the best way to get to the Scotiabank Saddledome and the BMO Centre through construction in 2023:
- Give yourself extra time to get to your event and follow detour signage and flaggers.
- Take Calgary Transit to avoid traffic and parking delays. It’s a short walk from the Victoria Park/Stampede LRT station to all event venues on Stampede Park, and an even shorter walk from the Erlton LRT station to GMC Stadium.
- Enter the area from the south via 25 Ave S.E., where construction is less impactful. If coming from the north by vehicle, park at Platform Innovation Centre and Parkade, located at 9 Ave & 3 St S.E. It’s a short walk to the Saddledome and the BMO Centre via 4 St S.E./Stampede Trail. Evening parking rate is $4.
- For major events at the Saddledome, park at the 11 Ave S.E. Lot. Parking is now just $8!
- For BMO Centre events and other events on Stampede Park, parking is available on the south side of Stampede Park, coming in from 25 Ave S.E. Limited close parking is also available in lots 10 and 11 on the north side of Stampede Park off 12 Ave S.E.
- Follow detour and wayfinding signs, and check The C+E Access Map regularly for real-time updates.
These detours will be in place March through June. For Stampede 2023, all area construction projects will pause to allow for safe and easy access through the area. Construction will resume with revised detours in late July and will remain in place through December.
We thank Calgarians and visitors for their patience and understanding while we complete this important city-building work.
Check The C+E Access Map for the most up-to-date information on construction impacts.